Parental support

Who can provide help with parenting? Welfare institutions provide various easily accessible activities for help and support with parenting, such as home start, opvoedbureau [office for help with parenting], and school welfare institutions. Every municipality has a ‘centrum Jeugd en Gezin’ (CJG, centre for Youth and Families). The CJG can help you if you (or


Is my child allowed to visit a playgroup? Young children can learn to play and develop together in playgroups and meeting groups, during preschool activities, and in projects such as ‘instapje’ and such like. The price of these provisions is determined by the municipal authorities and depends on the income. They are also accessible to

Child benefits

Child benefit [kinderbijslag] and child-related budget [kindgebonden budget] Child benefit is a contribution towards the care of children and is therefore paid to the carer. The child does not need to have a residence permit him or herself, but the carer needs to have such a permit. Child benefit should be applied for at the

Adult education

Can I go to higher education as an adult? Access to higher education is possible if you have legal residence in the Netherlands, for instance during a procedure. If you are allowed to start the education, you are allowed finish the course, even if you are no longer legally resident. However, without a residence permit


Is my child allowed to attend school? Children in the age of 5 to 18 years have to attend school until they have obtained a starting qualification (havo, vwo or mbo level 2 certificate or higher). This obligation also applies to children who have no residence permits. You can register your child with every school.